Monitoring & Evaluation short course
About the Course
Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) is a process applied by governments, international organizations and NGOs to improve performance and achieve results in projects. This process is a scientific way of objectively answering questions of outcome, output and impact in the management of current and future aspects of project/programme implementation. M&E establishes a clear connection between past, present and future project/programme initiatives. The rising prominence of M&E in project management has seen many policies, programmes and projects seek to build capacity on M&E elements that would enhance the quality of evaluations and usability of the data generated from its application.
Governments are increasingly relying on M&E to demonstrate results to ensure that citizens reap value from government projects. In this regard, governments, through implementing agencies are using M&E to manage decision making, organizational learning (to achieve continuous improvement), achieve accountability, solicit for programmes/project support and support advocacy. In Kenya, the establishment of the Monitoring and Evaluation Directorate (MED) (a semi autonomous body under the ministry of Devolution and Planning) saw the need to develop a National Integrated Monitoring and Evaluation System (NIMES) to track project activities that were designed with a component of poverty reduction.
This course is designed to give trainees capacity to design and implement an M&E plan that will yield quality data from which reliable conclusions are made to facilitate evidence-based decision making about ongoing projects, check on the effectiveness, efficiency, relevance and impact of the projects and generate knowledge from which future planning would be based.
Expected Course Outcomes
By the end of the course, trainees will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of Monitoring and Evaluation and its role in general project management.
- Show the linkage between programme/project plan and M&E plans.
- Differentiate types of Monitoring and types of Evaluations and show ability to choose the appropriate one depending on the focus of the M&E exercise.
- Develop appropriate indicators for various levels (activities, outputs, outcomes and impact) in project implementation process.
- Demonstrate ability to choose and design appropriate approaches and relevant tools for data collection and analysis.
- Show an understanding of the theoretical foundations of M&E and the ethical issues pertinent to planning and management of M&E processes.
- Evaluate M&E process to ensure generation of lessons learnt
- Demonstrate an understanding of critical elements in planning and management of M&E.
Upon successful completion of the course, each trainee will be awarded a certificate detailing the areas in which they have been trained.
- Concepts of Monitoring and Evaluation
- Linkage between monitoring and evaluation
- Approaches in Monitoring and evaluation
- Indicators systems
- Values and M & E
- Logical frame work and M&E
- Learning from M&E (utilization focused evaluation)
- Planning and management of M&E
The course duration is 40 hrs
Professionals, project managers, project staff, community and religious leaders, organizational management and staff, civil servant (county and national government) and individuals interested in, or involved in any kind of a project.
Enquiries, registration and booking can be made to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 0702178856/0786 588800
- All payments should be made to:
A/c Name: PAN AFRICA CHRISTIAN UNIVERSITY
A/c No: 01 1292 8136 9000
Clearing Code: 11062 (For Electronic Funds Transfer)
Name of Beneficiary: Write the name of the student and submit the deposit slip to the Accounts Office at PAC University for receipting.
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 60 hours
- Skill level Beginner
- Language English
- Students 32
- Certificate No
- Assessments Self